Saturday, April 3, 2010

News from Kenya - #5

Journal Entry 5-Day 6 and 7

Thursday April 1, 2010 9.00AM

I had a quiet day yesterday, Wednesday. The plan was for me to have the morning to myself and then 3 sponsored students were scheduled to come to the flat for a chat in the afternoon. However it rained very hard and none of the students came.

I enjoyed the peace and quiet. I went to the Internet cafĂ© and checked my emails etc. Then I did a little grocery shopping. At the time I was shopping I still thought the students were coming so I bought soda and snacks to offer them. They don’t normally get them and it is a special treat that I am glad to offer.

I came home and entered notes from my interviews yesterday and put the photos on the computer and labeled them (before I forgot who was who).

Mark Baetzhold, one of our Board members back home surprised me with a phone call. It was good to hear an “American voice”. We discussed working with a group from Nyamuswa, Tanzania. Max, the coordinator of an NGO called Zinduka, may travel to Kisumu to meet with us sometime next week. We hope they can link up with FIOH.

Paul came to the flat after school and we had a good discussion about goals and problems here in Kisumu. I watched a video he had celebrating the Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary 400th anniversary. They founder came from Italy in 1610 and they have a large number of members here. They were singing and dancing and praising the Lord in thanksgiving.

Paul never ceases to amaze me. He is supporting three young boys who live with him in a house near his school. One is in primary school, 11 year old Stephen, and is HIV + since birth. He participates in our HIV/AIDS transportation program. The other boys are in Secondary School; Vincent Otieno, age 18, in form 3 and Maxwell Ogare, age 17, also in form 3. Paul is also supporting one of his grandmothers who is getting up in age. He gets a total of about $75.00/mo in stipends between his principal and FIOH-USA.

Francis Omondi stopped by unexpectedly around 8.30 PM. I know him from previous visits. He is presently out of work and is having a difficult time. We plan to get together next week. He would like me to meet his mom and siblings and see his home here in the Kisumu area. He only stayed about 30 minutes.

I was glad to have stayed close to home today as I am having diarrhea frequently. I don’t know if it is just due to the drastic change to my system or if I need to take a course of antibiotics. I have enough for two courses during my trip. I don’t want to use them up too soon. I’ll give it a few days to see if I adjust. I don’t feel sick, just more tired than usual. That could also be due to the adjustment.

Paul and I talked a little longer and he headed home. I studied the manual for my new camcorder and fell asleep about 10.30 PM.

Now I am waiting for Paul to arrive and we are going to watch some of the Kenya School and Colleges National Drama Festival. It is a competition of secondary and college drama performances from all over the country. They will continue daily until April 6 at two locations in Kisumu. He tells me it is addicting to watch the talent and he thinks I might want to go everyday once I see some of the performances. The festival is held yearly but the location rotates. It was last held in Kisumu in 2002. Students from Kanyamedha High School where Paul teaches qualified for the national competition. I plan on going to see their performance next Tuesday.

The official break from school starts today. Everyone is away from all the schools until the Tuesday after Easter. Then the remedial teaching starts with half-day sessions in most schools. It reminds me of our summer schools but it is mandatory for all the students.

Friday April 2, 2010 5.30PM

Today is Good Friday. I got back a little while ago from walking the way of the cross. Hundreds of people came and the priest led the way. It was good to finally see Robert and his wife Jennifer as they both came to walk with the procession. It was very hot. We carried umbrellas for shade but I was still very hot. We started about 11.30 and by 2.15 PM we had only walked up to the 8th station. I was so hot I was about ready to pass out. I was wearing the hat I purchased at Ten Thousand villages that was made in Uganda and I was grateful I brought it. I had finished my large bottle of water. Gratefully Rom had a driver with a car on standby. He came and got Paul, Robert and I and we waited in the car under some trees until the procession reached the 14th station about 3.30 PM. Then we came back to the flat. However the procession proceeded to the church for adoration of the cross and they are probably still in church as I write this.

When we got to the flat, Julie, Rom’s daughter was there and had prepared Rice, salad and fried chicken. (Not like we have at home) I ate the chicken even though it was Good Friday because it would have been an insult not to partake of the rare treat of meat prepared especially because I was visiting. The chicken consisted mainly of wings and was tasty although very dry.

April 3, 2010 4.00AM

After I finished writing the above entry, I was falling asleep. Robert and Paul were with me at the flat and looking at a video that I had already seen. We visited a little while and they left about 7.30 PM. I practically fell into bed and woke up a little while ago.

Now, a little more about the drama festival: The drama presentations were wonderful with very colorful costumes. Most were in K'swahili, or D’Luo. Some were in English but I could not understand most of it. They spoke very fast and I had difficulty understanding the accent. However the dancing, acting and singing was fascinating to watch and listen to. The energy was amazing. I recorded a little of it on video. The stories generally portray some of the problems of Kenya including corruption or difficulty attending school. They usually have a happy ending.

I purchased a modem to use with our computers. It is about the size of a flash drive and plugs into a USB port. Abby suggested getting one when I was with her in Oxford. It cost about 20 dollars and I will leave it here when I leave. It allows using the Internet anywhere in Kenya including here at the flat. It will save them a great deal of time and energy instead of going to the Internet cafes. They can add to the modem the same as adding minutes to their phone cards but the modem does not use it up according to time but rather according to the number of megabytes downloaded or uploaded. A 12-dollar “top up” will last about a month if it is being used mainly for emails. You can search the Internet indefinitely without using up the megabytes unless you download something. This is all new to me but it works very well. The “top ups” expire every 30 days so it will take some practice to see how much is used in that length of time. If you buy too much it does not “roll over” and is just lost.

I am going to try to go back to bed for a few hours now. Later today we are going to the village of Kaloleni where I will evaluate the Posho Mill project and the effectiveness of the borehole well donated by St. Joseph University Church. I will also meet several sponsored students.

End of Journal Entry 5

No comments: